Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Staying in Teepee's in Golden, BC





Summer in the city of Calgary has been a busy one!
We have made it out camping once so far this summer into Golden, BC.
Sarah and Bob and talked us into joining them for a teepee trip into the heart of BC.
I must say that I had never been in a teepee before so I was kinda surprised when we arrived. The teepee was exactly what you would imagine - A hole in the middle of the teepee that opens to the sky and a dirt floor below.. They had placed concrete blocks in the middle so you dont have to step on the dirt and could put your things on it to keep it off the ground as well as had bug nets over the beds to keep the spiders from crawling on your face..
The area was very nice and although the teepee's were close together their were only a couple others booked for the night so we had some area to ourselves. Directly behind us was a trout stocked lagoon complete with a canoe you could paddle yourself around. We took an 'offroad' trip with the SUV to a waterfall cove and enjoyed playing near the water and watching nature. We got back and had a cold drink then headed out for a hike to the river.. On our way out the resident dog saw us going and became our personal guide for the trip (Thankfully since we would have probably gotten lost along the way) Polar (The Dog) stayed with us the whole time at the rive and enjoyed chasing rocks and sticks. We came back to the site and made a great dinner complete with garlic potatoes, corn and chicken wings and finished the night off with a calming paddle around the lagoon at dusk watching the fish jump and the bats swoop the water - It was a really neat trip and although it was a little more roughing it then I had expected it was still a great time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, it was a great trip. I think we will have to do Golden round 2 next year (but try the cabins out perhaps next time, less spiders!!)
Sarah