


.. Well dont take lessons from me, Kirby is the guy to see.
We decided for our second day in Raglan we would try surfing as this is a surfing town. The storm that moved in while kayaking the day prior was raining with no end in sight so we figured we were going to get wet anyways... What the heck!
Tim from the hostel was very kind to give us some tips on how to get up on the board before leaving (I felt he left out some valuable tips which I will disclose later)
We loaded the cars up with our surfboards, felt like we were coming straight from California and felt very cool.
we pulled up on the beach and hopped into the not so warm water - This was our first experience with the new zealand beach - The sand here is actually black which is really neat to see - It is very fine and has a beautiful shimmer to it. The water here which is not surprising is by no means as warm as thailand, it also is murkier so we cant see the shark about to take a leg off.. (Which might be a good thing??)
We wadded into the water about chest deep which I thought was difficult enough as the waves were so strong. Now... This is how this is supposed to work (As per Tims tips..)You wait for the wave, lay down on the board, take 10 hard breast strokes.. The wave will pick you up and when you feel the wave pulling the board push your chest up, get your feet under you so now you are standing and stay low..
Well Kirby being the natural sports pick up person he is.. Took careful attention to Tims tips and was actually able to get up and surf the very first try - Which I think is a record!!
He hopped onto his board like a pro and rode it into shore..
Well cant be that hard right???
Here now are Krista's valuable tips for surfing;
#1) Getting into the waves is important - If you cant stand on your feet in the water.. you cant surf, dont bother trying..
#2) If you cant lay on your board without it tipping sidways before the wave hits... You cant surf, dont bother trying...
#3) If you cant catch the wave and it just continually smashes you in the head causing your board (Which is attached to your ankle) to yank out from under you and drag you down the beach with the wave.. you cant surf, dont bother trying...
#4) If you actually do catch a wave and are too scared to stand up for fear of falling off and cracking your noggin.. Keep to boogie boards
............Also bail before the board reaches land as the board stops dead in the sand... You dont..And trust me, sand is really hard to get out of some important places..
#5) If by the good grace of god you get up on your knees.. which is almost surfing.. Congratulate yourself at a job well done and get the heck out of the water before you hurt yourself on the next try.
Needless to say Bob, Sarah and I "surfed" - and I use that word loosly..
for and hour and a half and the other guys stayed out for about 4 hours - I think you need to have a certain genetic in order to do this sport which Chris, Jay and Kirby must have.
Kirby really enjoyed it and is looking forward to doing it again nect time we go through in about 3 weeks.. As for me??
I think i'll stick to boogie boarding.
(Photos to follow)
5 comments:
You are developing a fantastic sense of humor kiddo - let alone the writing skills. You give me a chuckle with each one - keep up the good work. Sure missed you last nite at our early Xmas gift exchange. Had a nice dinner at a Greek restaurant in Airdrie, complete with a belly dancer (in Airdrie???)
Love & Lollipops - Grams
We continue to enjoy your notes. which are so well written.
Thinking of you guys a lot lately and continue to enjoy your pictures. Now I do beleive that there are sheep in NZ. We can only imagine your stories when you can tell them in person..
We hope you soon experience some summer weather and skip this spring rain stuff,
Christmas is soon here, the tree is up, the house is as decorated as it is going to be. So now we just have to plan on defrosting the turkey.
Enjoy the Christmas season and tell us how the locals celebrate.
Skip and Dixie
The beach pictures are amazing...I've seen black sand (in Hawaii) but it definitely didnt look like that!
Im envious of your Kayaking stories..I've often dreamt of a life where you could wake up each day and go for your morning row on the ocean. In this fantasy tho, I never thought of how my arms would ache! Keep it up- imagine your pipes ;)
Craig and I both have 2 more night shifts then were off for a few days to organize ourselves for xmas. Seems we got the village up, then almost "stopped"..sheshh. We did get the Disney sink in the basement- it looks great, I'm sure your rolling your eyes already! Come see it in a few months wont ya!
Missing u. Play safe.
Krista,
I don't remember the last time I actually laughed out loud at my computer screen....this posting was just too funny! I think you should write a book! ;-)
Have fun - stay safe and Merry Christmas,
Mandy
I enjoy your blogs as well, you do a great job Krista. I don't think I'd be great at surfing either. Oh well! You kids are having a great time! Keep safe. Linda O
Post a Comment